Aria collects electronic payments from customers under four circumstances, as listed below:
- When the nightly batch processes occur, a customer's billing date has arrived, and a balance is due. Aria collects the full account balance.
- When you create an account and you specify that a collection should happen at account creation time. Aria collects the full account balance.
- When various functions are performed based on your Aria implementation, your system settings, or the options that you specify when you take an action on an account. When the answer to the question "Should Aria collect a payment?" is yes, Aria collects a payment for only the amount of the charge. Examples of actions that cause Aria to collect only the amount of a charge:
- Plan change in the middle of a billing cycle
- One-time order
- Pending invoice approval
- When you use Aria or an API call to collect a specified amount from an electronic payment method. Aria collects only your specified amount.
Minimum Collection Threshold
The minimum collection threshold is the minimum amount for which Aria attempts a collection from an electronic payment method. You can specify the minimum collection threshold for each currency in which you do business with your customers.
You can specify whether the minimum collection threshold applies to only collections performed during batch processes or to all collections (collections triggered by batch processes, account creation, plan change in the middle of a billing cycle, one-time order, pending invoice approval, etc.). The setting that determines this is Apply Minimum Collection Threshold to All Collections (under Configuration > Payments > Payment Settings).
Aria does not attempt to collect payments that are below your specified minimum collection threshold.
Any collections that were skipped because of an amount that was below the minimum collection threshold are treated as if they were successful collections.
Note: If you approve a pending invoice and the invoice amount is below the minimum collection threshold, Aria does not collect a payment.
Example: Your minimum collection threshold is $10. In March 2015 you approve a pending invoice A is for $4.00. In April 2015, you approve a pending invoice B for $4.00. Aria does not collect a payment in March or April. If in May 2015, you approve a pending invoice for $2, that brings the account balance to $10. Since the account balance has reached the minimum collection threshold, Aria then collects the full account balance of $10 during the nightly batch processes.